The Communications Manager/Director will be a part of the daily operations of the Marketing & Communications Department, helping to successfully develop and implement strategies that promote Florida Citrus Sports’ services, events and sales/fundraising initiatives. This position requires the candidate to manage several projects and includes media and public relations, event press operations, messaging development, multiplatform content strategy and production (including web, e-mail and social), copywriting, brand and reputation management and general office work. This position will report directly to the Sr. Director of Marketing & Media.
The Communications Manager/Director will guide and execute daily operations of the organization’s internal and external communications plan, specifically collaborating on and implementing the overall strategy, managing timelines and budgets, developing message platform and monitoring consistency, creating and pitching story ideas for local and national media as well as owned media, writing and editing press releases and member communications, facilitating interviews with organization representatives, organizing media event operations and providing overall support during company events. The position will develop and facilitate projects to support FCSports objectives in membership sales, customer service, business development, fundraising and marketing. The manager will serve as a primary contact for external vendors and will supervise any seasonal or temporary employees within the department. This position will manage numerous concurrent projects and recognize all projects are deadline-driven.
The ideal candidate should be a detail-oriented self-starter, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, and enjoy working in a multi-task, deadline-driven environment. Organization, initiative, and the ability to express thoughts clearly and simply are essential. The role will be expected to balance the development of “big picture” ideas and execution of small details and logistics.
- College degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Business or related field
- ≥3 years of experience in sports information, press operations, public and/or media relations (for manager level)
- Experience in budget management and freelance/contract vendor coordination
- Experience in navigating a heavy workload to meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Strong writing/proofreading skills and familiarity with Associated Press style
- Familiarity with common social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- 5+ years of experience in sports information, press operations, public and/or media relations (for asst. director level)
- 7-10 years of experience in sports information, press operations, public and/or media relations (for director level)
- Familiarity with HTML editing and web content management systems
- Experience or familiarity with Adobe CS products (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Experience with community management and content strategy (preferably for a brand or organization)
- Experience with media event operations (press conferences, game day media needs, etc.)
Title and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
This position requires at least forty hours per week and the flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends according to the Florida Citrus Sports event schedule. The position requires the ability to work during Labor Day weekend and the December holiday season.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. Clearly state the level for which you are applying (Manager, Assistant Director or Director) in subject line and cover letter, and include salary requirement.