Whether you’re in a new relationship or in a longstanding one, date night is always a fun thing for couples. While many people think of Orlando as a city meant for families, there is certainly no shortage of things to do for young couples looking for a night out on the town!
Orlando has several different areas of town and surrounding areas that offer plenty to do for any young couple. Whether you’re into sports (our specialty), the arts, an active lifestyle, the theme parks, or the bar scene, you’ll find it all here.
With a little bit of inspiration, you and your significant other can enjoy unique and memorable dates around Orlando, even while we’re still in a mostly socially distanced world. If your date ideas are feeling a little stale, get your creative juices flowing with fun activities around Orlando that you and your partner will love.
Downtown Orlando might not be as big as other major cities, but it packs a lot into a fairly small area. Here you’ll find everything from restaurants and bars to arts and sports; so let’s check out a few options.
One of the highlights of downtown Orlando is definitely Lake Eola. It is a 23-acre lake that is home to many different types of birds, including ducks, geese, and many gorgeous swans. In the middle of the lake is a stunning art deco fountain that was built in 1957. At night, the fountain lights up different colors as water dances out of it.
The paved path around the lake is .9 miles long and is a great place for a relaxing walk either day or night. It’s well lit at night and you might even notice some soft music coming from the bushes along the path.
Lake Eola is home to a farmer’s market on Sundays and is often the spot where large events are held like fireworks for 4th of July, dog-friendly events like Paws in the Park or Barktoberfest, and lakeside yoga classes. There are a few restaurants and bars that surround the lake, so take a stroll and find one that fits your style.
One of the most iconic things about Lake Eola has to be their swan boats! They are paddle boats shaped like giant swans that you can take all around the lake to get a better look at the fountain and wildlife. You can rent these boats on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays right there at the boat dock.
Sports and Concert Venues
Downtown Orlando is home to several different venues where you can catch a sporting event or a concert. We here at Florida Citrus Sports host several events at Camping World Stadium throughout the year from college football games to major concerts. Check out our events schedule for the latest information on what events are coming up so you can liven up your date night with something really special! If going to some of these events regularly is something that interests you, definitely check out our Membership Packages to get some exclusive deals that are only available to our members!
If you and your date are soccer fans, then Exploria Stadium is the place for you! Here you’ll find Orlando’s very own women’s and men’s soccer teams. Go all out with one of their suites where you can choose to be inside or outside while watching the game. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, get some seats in the fan section and be ready to scream and cheer with the most avid fans around!
Lastly, we have the Amway Center; a 20,000-seat arena that is home to the Orlando Magic Basketball team, the Orlando Solar Bears hockey team, and countless major concerts throughout the year. This is a fully indoor venue, so it’s a great option all year long.
Theater & The Arts
For those of you who enjoy checking out a ballet, broadway show, or even some concerts and comedians in a venue a bit more intimate than a stadium or arena, then the Dr. Phillips Center is exactly where you want to be on date night. This beautiful complex has two different theaters and a third, very special theater on the way! Depending on the tie of year and the weather conditions, you can also occasionally attend outdoor events there like movie nights on their front.
Theme Parks & Surrounding Area
Everyone knows about the theme parks themselves here in Orlando, but not everyone knows all that there is to do in that area of town. There are countless dining options, some entertainment venues, and some unique experiences you’re not likely to find anywhere else. Let’s check out a few of them!
Universal CityWalk Orlando
CityWalk is a great place to go to find a variety of things to do in one place. Unlike the actual theme parks at Universal, admission to CityWalk is free. If you’re going there in the evening, after 6:00 PM, then parking is free as well (with a few exceptions for special events). Here are a few places in CityWalk that we recommend:
- The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen – For the chocolate and sweets-lovers out there, this is the place to be! This steampunk-themed restaurant offers outstanding meals and a full bar but what people really come here for are their gourmet chocolates, amazing milkshakes, and a wide array of confectioneries.
- Rising Star – If you are looking for a unique take on a karaoke bar, this is the place to go. Rising Star is a lounge setting where bravepatrons can sign up to sing on stage. It differs from other karaoke bars in that you’re not up there on stage alone, you’re supported by backup singers and a live band (on certain nights of the week). Even if you don’t want to perform, it’s a great time listening to people show off their talents.
- Hard Rock Live – If you’re more into seeing professional musicians and performers, then head on over to Hard Rock Live. This entertainment venue brings in singers, musicians, and comedians from around the world. Get your tickets in advance though as shows are likely to be sold out the day of the performance.
Similar to CityWalk, Disney Springs is an outdoor shopping, dining, and entertainment area. Admission and parking are both free here, so it’s a good way to get a bit of Disney Magic without the Disney budget. While you’re there, be sure to check out some of these fun and unique attractions:
- Cirque du Soleil: Drawn to Life – Cirque du Soleil is known around the world for its breathtaking acrobatic shows. For this show, they have paired with Disney to bring Disney animation to life! Enjoy the acrobatics and choreography paired together with music inspired by classic Disney songs.
- Raglan Road Irish Restaurant and Pub – For dining and entertainment combined in one, look no further than the fun, lively atmosphere of Raglan Road. You’ll feel like you’ve been transported to the Emerald Isle as soon as you step inside. They offer delicious and authentic food and drink options that are sure to please anyone. If you want the full experience, be sure to request a table with a view of the stage so you can see the musicians and dancers who put on an incredible show.
- Aerophile Balloon Flight – Take in the beautiful surrounding views from heights up to 400 feet in this tethered balloon experience. On a clear day, you and your date can see up to 10 miles in any direction!
Some of the best entertainment, restaurants, and bars in Orlando can be found just outside of the theme parks along a stretch of road known as International Drive, or I-Drive by the locals. You and your date can set off to check out some of these awesome attractions:
- Mango’s Live Dinner Show – Get tickets in advance for this colorful and energetic show. Eat delicious Cuban and Caribbean-inspired dishes while performers blend various styles of music and dance including samba, belly dancing, and even a performance or two reminiscent of the King of Pop.
- The Wheel at ICON Park – Plan a romantic spin in the evening at The Wheel at ICON Park. You two can enjoy the view of the entire city and beyond from the Wheel, otherwise known as the Eye of Orlando. Take your evening up a notch by booking a
champagne package and sip some bubbly as you rise above the city.
- Andretti Indoor Karting & Games – Do you and your date have a competitive streak? Then head on over to Andretti Orlando for an action-packed date night combined with a little friendly competition. Here you can do everything from indoor karting, to laser tag, arcade games, and bowling.
You don’t have to break the bank to have a magical date in Orlando as a young couple. A little creativity is all you need to enjoy budget-friendly options that range from high-octane attractions to fun-filled outdoor activities. With Orlando’s temperate, balmy weather, there are fun things to do all year long.
Throw on a cozy sweater and enjoy a romantic spin around Orlando’s ice rinks. And although the lakes around the city aren’t going to freeze over any time soon, there are several ice skating rinks open all year round, including:
- The Ice Factory of Central Florida – This ice skating facility has a hockey-sized main rink and a smaller studio rink. The facilities offer ice skating lessons, making it a suitable choice if either one of you is still learning to skate. The skating sessions range from two to three hours and cost $8 to $12, depending on when you visit the facility. They also have rental skates for $2 for standard skates and $5 for padded skates.
- RDV Sportsplex Ice Den: This Orlando rink offers a fun skating experience all year round. Enjoy pop tunes and show off your skills as you glide around the rink. Weekend admission is $16, including skate rental, or opt for a weekday date night for $13 admission.
Nature Walk at Bok Tower
Orlando is rich with beautiful natural landscapes where you can take in the views with your partner. Named after its founder, Edward W. Bok, the Bok Tower Gardens is one of the most breathtaking places in Central Florida. Enjoy each other’s company by taking a nature walk through the gardens. You can also take a tour of some of the historic buildings in the gardens. For those of you who want to bring your pooches along for your date, the outdoor gardens at Bok Tower are dog-friendly!
Explore Blue Spring State Park
Blue Spring State Park is another excellent place to visit when looking for an outdoor date activity in Orlando. Take a dip and get a view of plenty of unique fish and other aquatic life, including the local manatees! Prepare yourself for the chilly waters, though, and bring a towel to dry off after your swim. If you and your partner aren’t ready for a swim, you can still enjoy a day on the waters by renting a kayak. Make the outing even more memorable by carrying a packed lunch for a casual picnic.
Enjoy a Food Truck Dinner Experience
Skip the fancy dinner and enjoy an eclectic smorgasbord of tasty treats, courtesy of local food truck parks in Orlando. From veggie burgers to nachos and everything in between, you don’t need to shell out a ton of money to get your fill. Some venues serving drinks allow patrons to bring their own food, so you can save your cash for that second round of pints. Popular food truck parks include À La Cart, Boxi Park Lake Nona, Tasty Takeover, and Sand Lakes Food Truck Park.
Get Some Culture with Free Museum Admission
Having a sophisticated date night doesn’t have to be expensive. Many Orlando museums offer free entry on certain days of the week or on specific weekends each month. For ticket-free access, check out the Harry P. Leu Gardens on the first Monday of the month, the Orange County Regional History Center on the third Thursday of the month, and the Morse Museum of American Art every Friday, November through April.
Play Some Old School Arcade Games
If you and your significant other love old-school games, you can check out Orlando’s arcade bars, offering everything from Pacman to Super Mario Brothers. At Player 1 Orlando, you can compete for the best high score of the night over casual drinks and retro fun.
Take a Couples Painting Class
Roll up your sleeves and channel your inner artist for a fun evening of couples painting. Regardless of your painting skills level, you’ll delight in a creative night out at one of these events:
- Roque Pub: Located on Curry Ford Road, this cozy pub hosts weekly painting nights. If you’re looking for a snack and a drink to enjoy while you paint your masterpiece, the bar offers craft beer, wine, and tasty food options.
- The Art Room: Located just outside of Orlando in a town called Windermere, this venue offers painting classes taught by seasoned artists while you sip on a drink or enjoy a snack.
- Painting with a Twist: This event occurs across six different locations, so there is always one nearby. You are welcome to bring your own beer or wine to enjoy as you get expert guidance on your painting from start to finish.
Take a Stand-Up Paddle Board Tour
Orlando might not be on a coast, but there are plenty of beautiful water experiences around the city for a fun and creative date night. Stand-up paddle board tours in Orlando are a leisurely activity that explores the city’s various waterways. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, the Mansion Paddle Board Tour from Epic Paddle Adventures is a gorgeous trip through the canals of the Winter Park Chain of Lakes. If you or your partner are just starting out, the helpful guide will teach you the basics of paddling, balance, and navigation.
Enjoy a Double-Feature at the Drive-in
There’s something wonderfully nostalgic about a night at the drive-in movie theater. Massive outdoor screens and a concession stand full of delicious foods add to this activity’s throwback appeal. Just an hour outside of Orlando is the Silver Moon Drive-In Theatre. This historic, 70-year-old theater hosts double features every night of the week with new releases and fan favorites during the holidays. Tickets are available for purchase online.
Take a Free Brewery Tour
If you and your partner love a nice, smooth craft beer, you’ll appreciate a behind-the-scenes tour of Orlando Brewing. Operating for 20 years, Orlando Brewing was the first craft brewery in Central Florida. Today, they offer their patrons a list of high-quality, organic beers, including the popular I-4 IPA, O-Town Brown, and Orlando Weiss. Free tours start at 6 p.m, Monday through Saturday. Stick around after the tour and sample their on-tap menu of seasonal flavors. This is another dog-friendly option and you even get “Yappy Hour” special pricing on your beer if you bring your dog on Sundays.
Get Out There and Have Some Fun!
Orlando is a lively city with a little something for everyone. The next time you’re looking for something new and fun to do on a first date or on a scheduled date night with your loved one, maybe step outside the box and check out some of these date night suggestions to try some things you haven’t done before.